Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I hate running

I hate running. You can ask anyone. Why would I enjoy something that makes me feel like I am going to fall over at any minute, or makes me feel like I can’t breathe? Why would I enjoy something that reminds me of every muscle in my body that has not been exercised in way too long? Running seems like it is for people who are mentally ill. I don’t see the fun in pushing my body to the point where I have more blisters than toes, or to the point where my calf’s feel like a foreign body part?
You see, for the last month, I have been getting to know a few ellipticals in the gym. So far, they have all really been good to me. So far I have been able to push past my prejudices and start a friendly acquaintance with running. Today, that all changed. I stepped on the elliptical and we felt like strangers. Like we had never met before. 30 seconds into my run, I had already changed my stride length five times and was on my third radio station. It felt wrong. What had my elliptical done? Who had it done it with? Was this the end of a month long relationship? Can I continue to run with this friend who I no longer felt comfortable with? Today every step felt like a lie. I knew it would happen sooner or later. I knew that one day I would hate running again. I am saddened by this and I only ran half a mile.
Tomorrow I will try and make peace with both my body and the elliptical and hopefully come to a firm understanding of our relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment